Wednesday, September 22, 2010

BECAUSE SOMETIMES YOU JUST GOTTA


I did something BIG -- something huge that would normally require planning and agreement with all parties concerned (meaning Ed and B).

I made plans.

Not plans to go to dinner or what movie to see (both of which we rarely do) but major plans that will involve many details, researching and financial planning -- you are the first to know, even before Ed and B.

But allow me to intentionally digress here before I go even further. Last night was tense. Without naming names or giving away personal details, let me just say that suddenly and quite shockingly, things exploded here at home.

It's something that rarely occurs but when it does, it occurs big. Monumentally huge.

Ed went to bed upset and angry, I went to bed upset and angry and B just...left.

Apologies were made but the fact remains that things got personal and forgiving and forgetting won't be so easy this time.

There will be another person going with me to therapy on Friday -- the first time this has happened.

But that's not the plans I made.

A few days ago I posted about my calling my best friend in Maine, Sue. And how after just a few minutes of talking, we both felt like nothing had changed -- all the time and distance hasn't affected our friendship.

Out of the blue, she calls me this morning. How she knew I needed this is beyond me. With puffy and swollen eyes I had been battling with my emotions all morning, going over and over the events of last night...then she called.

And out of nowhere I made a promise. I made a promise to my best friend whom I haven't seen in 20 years.

I made a promise to her -- on this first day of Autumn -- that this coming summer, I am getting on a plane and flying to visit her. And I'm taking Ed and B with me.

This will come as news to them.

It came as news to me.

I think I'm just tired of hearing and reading about everyone else's fun and good times -- fun with family and friends. So, I'm cultivating my own life and the events in it.

I'm not a spontaneous kind of gal -- especially with something as big as this. Our two day Catalina Island trip took me two months of planning and the most spontaneous thing I've ever done was get my nose pierced, recently (yes, it hurt!).

It would seem I'm simply finding my salt.

This is one case where buyers remorse won't be setting in. This is something that's been a long time coming and I'm going through with it with no apologies.

With Sue's hectic work schedule as a cardiology nurse and family with problems just like every other, it would be impossible for her, financially and otherwise, to come here. So, I am coming to her...AND we're getting matching tattoos.

And I'm doing it as carefree as making dinner reservations or buying a movie ticket....because sometimes you just gotta.

Nike would be so proud.

7 comments:

Steven Anthony said...

YOU GO GIRL! How cool are you, just making plans....LOVE this...I am beaming like a proud papa...

You are so awesome, the steps you continue to take forward are so inspiring..

much love my friend

Jules said...

BRAVO! Way to go my Rainbow friend. This sounds like a step in the right direction. Sorry it took Mount St. Helen's erupting, but you know what they say about out of the ashes rose... :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Elle said...

YAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY! You GO, Girl! So, so, so proud and excited for you! It's too bad the decision was preceeded by an explosion at home, but those things happen. Have soooooo much fun planning this trip!

Lots of love, my friend.
~ Elle

Allen said...

Jo,

There are times, like the past two weeks, I wish I could have done the same.

I too have been stressed out to my limits, and need to run away. I need to get out of this, and get back to my happy self.

I am happy that you made up your mind to do that, to run and go with the flow.

Seeing a friend after 20 years well be a great thing! Have fun on your trip. Maybe it will give you the peace that you are looking for.

Coffee time?
Allen

Debbie said...

Good for you! I am happy you are going.

Jaynie Martin said...

good for you jo :) oddly im doing much the same im off to boston in sept next year to meet my yoville friends from canada usa 5 of us in total and i cant wait ... lifes to short jo its time to start living it !
xxxxx

Ms Bibi said...

That is so awesome! Just go for it. It will be so good for you and your family to get away and reconnect with your friend after what you're been through.