Thursday, May 27, 2010

THURSDAY TIRADES


"I did my best but I guess my best wasn't good enough...."

La-la-la-freaking la!

Okay, the 'More Magazine' beauty/essay contest is officially over and now the judges have the 'difficult task' of picking the winner.

This contest ran from March through May and is now officially closed while we wait for the 'verdict'.

The idea was for women over 40 to send in a photo (non-professional) with an essay of 150 words or less recounting why this is the best time of their lives.

I saw this more as an opportunity rather than a competition. An opportunity for us women of a certain age to shine and to present ourselves honestly and as we are in exchange for literary recognition with first and second prizes in the thousands -- plus a trip to New York to get published in 'More Magazine'.

"I should have been a contender."
~Marlon Brando from "On The Waterfront"

I doubt that my campaign approach of an "honest face of forty" will hold merit compared to other entries such as these below (but just a few samplings):






















The rules stated that the photo submitted must be non-professional:

"Photo must be .jpeg or .bmp image format and cannot exceed 3 MB, taken at entrant's direction and with entrant's permission, non-professional, and must not have won any prize or award."

With that said -- and the rules of a 'non-professional submitted photo' clearly broken by many of the contestants (again, the above is just but a sampling of the many discrepancies I found with other entries) -- do I think I'm anymore beautiful than the other entries?

Nope. Not at all.

In fact, I think of myself as quite ordinary -- but I also happen to think that 'ordinary' women are the ones who sparkle. Us gals who know that true beauty comes from our life experience, intelligence, compassion and hearts -- and not from the make-up counter.

I stand at 14 votes and am immensely proud of every single one of those votes and of the people who voted for me -- and I thank you.

They were a vote for honesty, integrity and more importantly, a vote for MS as 10% of my earnings would have gone to the MS Society.

I suppose this is a case of where I "shouldn't count the chickens before they're hatched." Okay, so I don't eat chickens but you get the point for my lack of a vegan friendly analogy.

As I've said before, I don't begrudge anyone to do what they feel necessary to make themselves feel better, all the power to them (rock on sisters!) -- however, I would compare their entries with a professional dancer or singer entering an amateur contest.

So, thank you to those of you who saw it in you to support me and my cause and take the time to vote -- I'm hoping that if it's not me who wins, that it's someone who indeed presented themselves without the smoke and mirrors like some of the other entries who garnered thousands of votes due to lingerie, sexy posing and professional photographers.

Otherwise, there's something rotten brewing in Denmark and every woman over 40 who entered this under the assumption of honest tallying is perfectly entitled to drown themselves in the savoring taste of bitter grapes.

5 comments:

Steven Anthony said...

In my book, win or notq, you shine brightly my friend...love and hugs ;)

Meeko Fabulous said...

To me, you'll always be a winner. :)

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Oh, honey, life is not fair. I tell my kids that all the time. And that being said, I agree with you about the rules not being followed. What is it about people nowadays? They all seem to think they are exempt from rules. I am guilty of exceeding the speed limit on the interstate. I don't think anybody was doing the speed limit today. We seem to have turned into an egotistical society. We all think the rules don't apply to us. How did that happen?

Guess I am in one of those moods. The summer is beginning and it is now time to point to all the signs and ask people to please obey them. I just cleaned out the aluminum recycle bin. It is clearly labeled and is right next to the plastic bin and the dumpster, for heavens sake, so why did a camper feel the need to throw their leftover dinner in the cans? It's the little things....... and in your case the big things, too. This, too, shall pass.

VABookworm87 said...

I always feel it's better to have one's dignity in the end... I'm about as plain as they come, and get overlooked all the time for it, but at least I have my self respect :o) And I respect you for being yourself!

Ms Bibi said...

You are a winner all the way.

Those pictures are not the true pictures of those two women.If anybody believes that then they're fools.

You should be proud for the picture you've submitted. Good for you and keep on being yourself.