Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A LITTLE DOSE OF REALITY


Okay, so my current addiction to reality T.V. is more than a 'dose' and couldn't really be described as a little anything. It's more like that frosted covered big slab of cake that you know you shouldn't have but just can't seem to help yourself.

There simply isn't enough on network T.V. to keep me entertained (and I have a lot of time on my hands and get bored with reading after a while) so I turn to reality T.V. if for no other reason than to combat my boredom and complain about it's 'stars'.

Anyone else do this?

My current favs are:

'Tori and Dean: Home Sweet Hollywood' (Oxygen)









This show chronicles the busy life of two working Hollywood parents and the toll their life takes on them as individuals, as a couple and a family. They have a close knit group of friends -- mostly hers -- all of whom have opinions adding to Dean's frustrations.

I just happen to love this family and find them endearing. I think Tori to be unhealthy thin, though.....and her best friend, Mehran, needs to just butt out! Kind of feel sorry for Dean at times -- poor guy can't seem to win for losing.


'Keeping Up With The Kardashians' (E!)












I am relatively new to this show and have been catching up. My thoughts: Poor Bruce Jenner! Kris walks all over him, he's surrounded by loud, demanding females in which he cannot seem to hold his own and he's gone amok with plastic surgery.

Rob: The only boy. Kind of obsolete and doesn't show up too much but seems to be level headed, good hearted and protective of his family.

Kim: spoiled, full of herself, yet seems to be the most caring of the three older girls.

Khloe: The bitchiest and crudest yet I think the prettiest and most open.

Kourtney: Cold and cruel at times yet is very forgiving.

Kylie and Kendall (the youngest, Kris and Bruce's together): not trouble now but will be. Who's watching these girls anyway????


'Pretty Wild' (E!)








A new show on E! about three sisters (one of whom is adopted) and their permissive Mom who lives by the mantra 'And So It Is'. I want to smack her! Seriously, I want to throw things at the T.V.

The three girls are all teenagers and all want to be socialite party girls -- they even have a stripper pole in their house.

Their Mom was a playmate in the 80's and why that should bring fame to them now is beyond me.

Their most recent claim to fame is that Alexis, the oldest I believe, is one of the people accused of burglarizing the homes of Lindsay Lohan, Alexis Bliedel, Orlando Bloom...just to name a few.

No accountability, no remorse in spite of her attorney's objections to her 'party girl' image. Only rewards by being allowed to go out and party and have parties by their flaky Mom.

Go ahead. I dare you. Watch it for yourself and see if you don't want to staple the Mom's head to the carpet.

Oh, and Alexis was recently caught stealing again; this time it was someones I.D. and $200.00.

No doubt her Mother will throw her a party for having self restraint in not stealing $500.00.

And so it is.

'Kirstie Alley's Big Life' (A & E)












This show is about what goes on inside Kirstie Alley's home and head as she battles the paparazzi and herself. It chronicles her new journey in losing the weight and keeping it off. Thrown in the mix are her two teenage kids, her gardener/handyman, her assistant, her assistant's assistant, her personal trainer, her housekeeper and a bevy of animals, including lemurs.

She loves everyone in her life and is very generous, I would say to a default. Although her kids seem to have good heads on their shoulders and are loyal to their Mom.

Good stuff and a concept I can support and get behind.

Kirstie's no nonsense approach is endearing and refreshing.

Then there are the non-celebrity reality shows such as 'Survivor' and 'The Amazing Race' (CBS). Both shows have teams/individuals competing for a million dollars.

'Survivor' I couldn't do in a million years -- being a vegan, I would surely starve as the contestants are already borderlining starvation while having to live in primitive island conditions battling the climate and each other all the while performing grueling tasks for reward challenges and immunity (which means you cannot get voted off). Once the teams merge, individual immunity is up for grabs -- making it a dog eat dog existence where backstabbing and plotting are the norm.









Fun to watch and exhilarating to see your favorites come out on top (and infuriating when they don't) but one I, personally, wouldn't have the stomach for.

'The Amazing Race' is comprised of teams made up of two people each; brothers, partners, best friends, etc.









It's literally a race around the world with teams having to complete tasks on foreign soil, and in a timely manner: the last team to arrive at the 'leg' of that episodes race gets eliminated.

THIS I could likely do and would love an opportunity to frantically travel. This is one case where my neurosis would likely come in handy -- I seem to work better and am more productive in 'panic mode' plus I'm not afraid of heights, hard work, etc.

So, what do you think?

Am I addicted?

Are you?

8 comments:

Anita said...

Hi, I'm not really a reality show fan, but I do have a couple of guilty pleasures. The Real Housewives of NY, and Gene Simmons are my favs.
Thanks for stopping by my blog today, it's been a great day!

Nedine Says said...

When not in the thrall of highbrow pursuits (cough), I enjoy a few guilty pleasures among them: "Dr. Dru Sober House"-Quite possibly the world's most inept(my opinion Dru, sorry) psychologist/psychiatrist tackling the most entrenched celebrity addicts. Not pretty but enjoyable for all the wrong reasons.A case of the patients running the asylum.

Yankee Girl said...

That is quite the addiction! No worries though, there are worse addictions than reality tv!

I don't watch much tv, but I do always catch the updates during the week. That way I know what is going on but I don't have to admit to watching the shows!

Andrea said...

Most of the reality TV gets on my nerves. I know, I am the weird one...everyone else loves it. I totally agree there is NOTHING good on TV to watch these days.

Hope you are doing well.
Hugs, andrea

Steven Anthony said...

OMG the only one on your list I dont watch is surviviour.....love reality tv...LOVE IT!

hugs friend

Jo said...

Steven, we should totally do 'The Amazing Race' -- can you imagine????

Just smile and nod. ;)

Kat said...

I am addicted! I admit it. I love the Kardashian's and have watched them from day one. I love The Real World as well. What else...oh Kristy is my hero. I love her! LOL Yeah, I'm addicted.

BONNIE K said...

I am addicted to the Housewives of whatever city they happen to be showing - on Bravo. It's so embarrassing to be addicted to this show.