Thursday, April 29, 2010

JO IN A NUTSHELL


Hi, all.

Firstly, I want to thank my 'brother from another mother', Steven Anthony (from 'No Excuse, No Explanation' -- you can get to his blog on my sidebar under "Favorite Blogs'), for featuring me yesterday in his Wednesdays 'Hump Day Heroes' feature.

I so adore him and appreciate his kind heart and support.

I'm not so sure I'm deserving of his kind words, but I know how heartfelt they were from him and let me just say ditto! Right back at you, my friend.

Thank you for bringing light to my MS cause and mostly for being the kind soul you are, Steven.

In other news:

I officially entered the More Magazine 2010 writing/beauty contest.

I don't think it's 'beauty' per se as in 'aesthetically pleasing to the eye' they're looking for. If that was the case, I wouldn't have spent $25.00 on the entry fee for a hopelessly lost cause!

It's more how women over forty (which is what the magazine is all about) perceive themselves.

Boy, I took that and ran with it figuring I have everything to gain and nothing to lose but the entry fee.

On the chance it pays off, the grand prize winner receives $10,000 and two first prize winners will be awarded $5000 each with all prize winners being flown to New York for a photo shoot to be published in More magazine.

Without risks, there are no rewards.

This I know.

While I am admittedly still a work in progress, I nonetheless felt my story was as viable to tell as the next woman's. Plus -- well, let's face it as it has to be said -- I have fabulous new hair to boot!

The kicker? I had to do this in 150 words or less. For someone who likes to be as verbose as I do, that was the real challenge: summing me and my neurosis up in 150 words.

I guess this goes by how many votes each story/entry receives -- so, should you vote for me and should I win, I will give 10% of my earnings to the MS Society.

Please copy and paste the following url into your search bar (because I STILL cannot figure out how to post direct links on my blog):

http://www.more.com/13752/18319-jo--age-44

You may also go to More.com and search for 'Jo, age 44' under "More 2010 Beauty Search Contest" and click "Vote For Most Fab" at the end of my article (look for the pink check mark!).

A vote for me is a vote for MS!

THANK YOU!

So, in a shameless plug -- coupled with a plea to fund research for a cause and cure for MS -- and without further adieu, I present to you Jo in a nutshell:


In my twenties it was all about the accessories. Now, my accessory is the self actualization that being over forty allows me. It’s comfort in my own skin with an acceptance that didn’t accompany me before.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that 2010’s best actress/best supporting actress winners were both over forty. Hollywood is recognizing the value of these women and I think we’re starting to recognize that same value in ourselves.

In my twenties, I was simply wife and Mom. Now, I am wife, Mom, vegan, an advocate for those who are afflicted with MS and I’m a woman.

After two years of financial hardship with losing our home of sixteen years and having to file bankruptcy, I’ve also learned that if I know nothing else now it’s that these same events twenty years ago would have weakened my spirit.

Now, I am a woman and a survivor.

5 comments:

InspiredDreamer said...

Hey there, great post! I don't even know how to write about myself and beauty (at any age) in 150 words or less! wow.

That's weird your links don't work, cause Blogger has a little link button. Have you tried writing the code? I'll give you the code for my blog (shameless plug) but all you'd have to change is the two x's to a's.

These are the words that show

So if I did this right, you'll only see these words as a link to my blog. :)

Herrad said...

Hi,
It has been awhile since I visited many blogs.
Decided to do a quick visit to say hello to as many blogs as possible tonight..
Nice to visit your blog its been ages, I am sure it will not be so long again especially now my life is getting better.
I went out this afternoon for the first time since 19 August 2009 and it was brilliant.
Lovely to feel my world getting bigger again after all this time in bed.
Have a good evening and a pleasant day tomorrow.
Love,
Herrad
PS
Please visit Steve @ The Wheel Of Fortuna

http://spinfortunaswheel.blogspot.com/

Important we support him in the first weeks of his bereavement.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Good job!! I tried to comment to you a couple days ago and all the demi-gods of the internet conspired against me. Actually could have been user error, but I choose to believe the conspiracy theory. Just wanted to lend a little moral support, so hang in there, and keep on doing what you are doing!

PJ said...

What an Awesome post! Hats off to you my friend! I second your emotion! As the old saying goes what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. God doesn't give us more than HE KNOWS we can bear. He knows us better than we know ourselves, so whatever we go though, as long as we know God's with us, we can do or accomplish anything.

God Bless!

PJ

"Cottage By The Sea" said...

I think you look beautiful and even more important your essay is wonderful. I hope you win and make lots of money. Good for you giving 10 percent to MS. I'm off to vote! Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS on your bon day.