Tuesday, March 23, 2010

'WOW' ME



Hi, all. Through my good bloggy friend, Elle (over at 'A For Effort' -- you can get to her blog through her blog button on my sidebar -- she is funny, bright and electric!), I joined a new blog group I wanted to share with everyone.

It's called "WOW' which stands for 'Words Of Wisdom' -- I just posted their blog button on my sidebar under 'Favorite Blogs'.

'WOW' is for bloggers who write -- and like to read -- good blog content. I realize that the word 'good' is subjective and a rather broad term: after all, what's good to you may not be good to others and vice versa.

I guess from my perspective, 'good' would be anything that captivates me.

What attracts me to what I consider a good blog may not be what attracts you.

I like honest, controversial, personal, thought provoking, silly.

I like 'chutzpah': people who put it all out there as I do in what I refer to as my 'warts and all' confessional.

That's what this blog and my '90 Days' blog was set up for. I'm a 'no holds barred' kind of gal who's clearly not everyone's cup 'o tea.

I've had a few battles here: some win, some lose and some draw. Mostly what I've gained from blogging is more of a sense of self.

This is my own. Only I am accountable for my blogs content.

I've been accused of being whiny and narcissistic. I've lost some followers but mostly I've gained friends here -- something I don't have a lot of in my 'real' life because I've simply isolated myself figuring it's easier to not chance being hurt and disappointed in others.

Been there, done that.

The friends I have made on my blog have proven to be just as real and valuable to me as anyone else in my life and I love them for it.

'WOW' isn't just for women unlike other blogging groups. They'll surely be blogs we like and connect with and blogs we won't.

Mostly, I think it will be a nice contrast to the 'Mommy Bloggers' (again, I mean no offense to the Mommy bloggers out there) and all female 'clientele'.

I am not a traitor to my gender so don't misunderstand me. Just today I commented on Elle's blog that I support women, not just Moms whether it be working or SAH, but WOMEN.

However, I like that 'WOW' is for EVERYONE -- not just women, not just men, not just Moms and not just for people who are bankrupt or live life well. 'WOW' is a blogging group that I can get behind and support wholeheartedly and I'd like to see it fly!

Again, if you're so inclined, you can get to 'WOW' from their blog button on my sidebar -- look for the typewriter that says "Blogs Of Note W.O.W." (See? No pink!).








In other brief news, I want to thank all of you for your heartfelt congratulations on the impending arrival of our new 'family member'; a baby due in November and wanted to clear up what our role will be in this child's life and that of it's parents.

In the mid 2000's (I want to say it was '04 or '05), we had a neighbor boy who lived across the street from us (he was about 18 or 19). He was working and would occasionally come over and visit. He lived with his parents and was unhappy at home.

We had a spare bedroom and he moved in with us paying rent.

With him came 'J', whom I refer to in my blog as our 'oldest son'. J and this young man were good friends and through him, J became a part of our lives.

Eventually, the young man moved back home after losing his job and not really meshing well with us, but J remained in our lives: he and B became 'brothers' and he like a son to Ed and I.

J is good hearted, close to his family and we just 'gelled' well.

So, J's been a part of our lives for many years now (he calls me 'Mom' and I refer to him, again, as my 'oldest son'). We see him daily and were there when he married his wife, 'C', four years ago and were there when they announced last week that they were having a baby.

So, again, I just wanted to clear up any confusion. While this is not my biological grandchild, I couldn't be more thrilled at this news.

Imagine how tickled I will be when B announces one day that he will be a father.

So, again, while Ed and I aren't 'Grandma and Grandpa' per se, this baby will nonetheless be a part of our daily lives, just as J and C are. B is crazy happy to be an 'Uncle' just as we're crazy happy to be whatever we are destined to be for this baby.

We've learned through J (and B's other close friends like V and A, whom I've also mentioned on here) that 'family' is more than blood, it's really, quite simply, what connects our heart strings.

8 comments:

Meeko Fabulous said...

Regardless of whether he's biological or not, the baby will be loved!

Steven Anthony said...

you have such a big heart my friend, this baby will be so blessed that you are in its life, no matter the role;)

wow sounds awesome, Im gonna check it out.

love and hugs;)

GregoryJ said...

WOW sounds good for you.
I don't know if my stuff is good enough. I usually just blather, not very seriously.

Great news on the baby to be front.
So exciting for you.

Shannon said...

Babies are just great all around..cept for the poop and stuff that comes out of their noses..lol..anyhoo..w.o.w. sounds like something i will check out!

Elle said...

This is a wonderful post! I'm glad that you're so excited about WOW--I am too!

I totally understand the relationship with J. Technicalities aside, that baby will be loved, and it's a new member of your family, so that's worthy of excitement. Since my sister's death, our family has grown to include many of her friends and their children. Her friends are like pseudo-little sister's to me now, so I understand that family is more than just blood. I think family is what we make it--and that includes those friends that enrich our lives.

WOW said...

Thanks so much for your support for WOW. You are exactly right that WOW is a community for EVERYONE. What counts is great content - thought-provoking, insightful content that makes the reader what to "join the converstation." Thanks again for your support.

Betty Manousos:cutand-dry.blogspot.com said...

Jo, thank you, thank you from the bottom of my heart for your wonderful comments on my SITS DAY!
It means a lot coming from you!
Wishing a nice day!
All the best,
Betty xx

Betty Manousos:cutand-dry.blogspot.com said...

That is great!!
Good for you!
I so admire you:)
Betty