Tuesday, March 23, 2010

IT'S FINALLY OVER



Three months and counting since our bankruptcy hearing in January, it is now official -- upon receiving our 'Discharge Of Debtor' notice today -- that Ed and I are officially bankrupt.

In a sense I feel a great relief. I am not shocked per se` by this outcome as this is indeed what we were striving, struggling and fighting for all this time; to get relief from our debt after losing our home and owing thousands upon thousands to the financial company that loaned us the second on the house.

The house where we lived for 16 years and where we raised our children.

We did not intend this to be how our lives turned out. While there were certainly things we could have and should have done better, it was not done out of maliciousness, credit card debt (of which we have none) nor ill intentions.

Still, to say that justice was served or perhaps that I feel good about this outcome is incorrect.

We will not be toasting it's success nor celebrating our 'good fortune'. This is not something to be boastful about: this simply calls for nothing less than humility and gratefulness.

Gratefulness that we survived this and finally found a good attorney who stood by our side and fought for us.

There are still lessons to be learned that await me -- it has to first wade through all the sludge of my grief, despair and shock before revealing itself.

Thank you for being by my side during my on-going journey of hope.

"I think all we can aspire to in this situation is a little bit of grace."

13 comments:

Steven Anthony said...

the volcano has errupted and now left in its wake the beautiful, tough lava stone....


hugs, prayer and love to you my strong, wonderful friend;)

Jo said...

You make me cry, Steven.

Thank you for your support and words of encouragement. They have meant more to me than I could possibly convey.

Love you.
~Jo

Jaynie Martin said...

Glad thats over for you jo x

Andrea said...

I love your honesty and heartfelt beliefs regarding this situation...indeed it something to be grateful for. I praise GOD you were able to get it worked out.
Hugs, love, and prayers, andrea

Just Breathe said...

Sometimes things happen that are not always within out control. Sometimes we make mistakes. We did one about 12 years ago or more. It changed our life. Now we do cash for everything, have a new house and own our cars. Good for you. I wish you a new life with new freedoms.

GregoryJ said...

We'll stay be your side, Jo. You'll make it the rest of the way and we'll be there then, too.

VKT said...

Dear Jo,

I would love to meet you some day! I think you are such a wonderful resilient person dear lady!

Margaret said...

I am a new follower and love your blog! Keep your head up it will get better!

Shannon said...

I told you once before..my husband and I went through bankruptcy..due to illness and horrendous medical debt..it is nothing to be ashamed about..some things happen and we have no control over them..glad it is behind you..now you can move forward and you are stronger for it!God bless!

MommyLovesStilettos said...

I'm glad it's all over for you. I can't even imagine how stressful that was.

Jaynie Martin said...

thanks for stopping by jo :)
i love your blogs :)
I love my grandsons yoda pic my son nick made it into a poster for him :D
Liam is getting to be a teenager this year 13 :/ and the attitude thing is just starting to kick in but hes lovely and congratulations to you too how lovely for you ... better days on the way xxx

Meeko Fabulous said...

It is something to celebrate my dear! It's a new beginning. Make the most of it! :)

LambAround said...

I just found your blog and am excited to read your future posts. I must admit that I have a teenie bit of bias against you and bankruptcy (part of my job is to send people to collections!) I hope things only go uphill for you from here.

Lamb’s Most Recent Post:Woman’s Day Magazine No Longer Irks Me!