Wednesday, March 17, 2010

ERIN GO BRAGH!



In case you didn't know, 'Erin Go Bragh' means 'Ireland Forever' in Gaelic.

Who says you don't learn things from my blog??? Hmpf!

We celebrated our St. Patrick's Day on Saturday with B's regular crowd; 'our oldest son, 'J' and his wife (all is well there now --whatever 'it' was, it's thankfully passed with efforts from her and I both), 'V' (one of B's very best friends), 'A' (Nikki's daughter and B's best female friend) and her long time boyfriend/fiancee`, 'C' (B's 'kinda-sorta but not really girlfriend' --they're really better off as good friends and work really well that way -- not exactly sure what the deal is -- and I don't ask questions -- but whatever it is, it's good and they both seem happier). 'C' made several desserts including vegan rice pudding for me and a Boston cream pie cheesecake and bread pudding for everyone else.

We were expecting a few more people who decided to just not show up (and a few two hours late) -- and while at first I was miffed, the truth is that left more for Ed and B to have sandwiches the next day.

Steven Anthony posted my corned beef and cabbage crock pot recipe on his 'Mandish' blog this morning.

*I tried commenting on it, Steven, but I'm having trouble with commenting today -- either blogspot is acting up or my computer is, not sure which. Anyhoo -- for those who are interested, go check it out: you'll need a four or five quart crock pot, the listed ingredients and about 6 or 7 hours to cook it on high. It's truly, as Steven put it, 'melt in your mouth' delicious. I can't partake but I make a pot of boiled potatoes and a separate pot of cabbage as well as vegan soda bread (soda bread is traditional Irish fare for which I'm sure you can find an easy recipe for on-line, it compliments the corned beef and cabbage beautifully).

By the way, tomorrow is Steven's birthday -- he's a very special person to me and has been a good, kind and generous friend; 'my brother from another Mother'. Please kindly wish him a happy birthday tomorrow (you can get to his blog, 'No Excuse. No Explanation.' from his blog button on my side bar).

The main event Saturday was us watching 'The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day', the long awaited sequel to 1999's 'The Boondock saints' for which I reviewed several posts below last week.

The sequel was, again, ten years in the making and did not disappoint with more twists and turns.












It left room for yet another sequel in which I hope director Troy Duffy jumps on and doesn't make us wait another ten years for.

The sequel boasts the talents of Academy award nominees Peter Fonda and Tom Wilkinson as well as it's regulars, Norman Readus, Sean Patrick Flannery and Billy Connolly.

You really must see the first film to get the emotional high from the second.

If you watch nothing else on T.V. tonight -- watch these two movies. C'mon, 'Modern Family' is a re-run, so, go buy or rent these two films and have a St. Paddy's movie marathon.

So worth it.

My only criticism is that Sean Patrick Flannery is but a shell of his former self. I understand that the sequel took 10 years to finally get made, but I haven't changed THAT much in ten years and these boys are about the same age as myself.

The problem is that for whatever reason, Sean Patrick Flannery has had obvious plastic surgery which his appearance did not take kindly to. Gone are his lovely features and cheekbones replaced by a bloated face and eyes resembling 'the cowardly lion'.
















The Internet is all abuzz about what the hell he's done to himself as us fans had to take another gander to make sure it was indeed him.

Yep. There it is in the opening sequence, Sean Patrick Flannery.

Check it out for yourself.

St. Patrick's Day trivia:









*The hands on a claddagh symbol represent friendship, the heart love and the crown honor and loyalty.

*St. Patrick himself was, in fact, not Irish. His father was Italian and his mother was Scottish.

*The shamrock ('Searoy') became the symbol of Ireland as legend has it that St. Patrick used it to illustrate the Holy Trinity.

*The legend of St. Patrick driving serpents out of Ireland was really symbolic of putting an end to paganism as serpents were frequently used to represent pagans.

*Green wasn't Ireland's national color before the 19th century -- in fact, it's national color was blue.

*A leprechaun wears green to blend in with nature to hide.

*Ireland was the first country to grow potatoes on a large scale.

*Kissing the Blarney Stone is supposed to remove your shyness.

*Shamrocks and clover are the same things: Shamrocks grow in Ireland, clover in America.

*A 'Shillelagh' (pronounced 'Sha-lay-lee') is a big walking stick.

*The oldest known Irish carvings show people playing the harp.

*The Irish are said to have brought oatmeal to America.

*The circle in a Celtic cross represents the sun.

*Not until 1997 did divorce become legal in Ireland.

*If an Irish surname begins with 'Mac' it means son of. If an Irish surname begins with 'O' it means house of or grandson of.

*The longest river in Ireland is the Shannon River.

That's all I have for today. I wish for everyone a very happy and safe St. Patrick's Day and to keep a little of the 'Emerald Isle' in your hearts all year long.












Enjoy these videos, 'The Blowers Daughter' and '9 Crimes', from my favorite Irish singer, Damien Rice (I've posted them before but really hope to turn you all on by this gifted man and his co-singer, Lisa Hannigan):



5 comments:

Andrea said...

Happy Birthday Steven!!

Thanks for all your sweet comments on arise 2 write. I hope you are having a fun filled St. Patty's Day.
Hugs, andrea

Shannon said...

ME name is Shannon so I like the name of the river...lol...May the luck of the Irish be with ye today! I too posted a Happy St. Patrick's Day post...mostly pic's.

Meeko Fabulous said...

Erin Go Bragh to one of my favorite Irish friends! :) I'm gonna have to make that corned beef and cabbage recipe. I won't be able to tonight though. I'm playing make up artist to my friend tonight.

Steven Anthony said...

awwwwwwwwwwww you make me blush my sister;)

Ok, Sean Patrick, kindas looks like he has been drinking allot, or at least thats how my face looks after a couple month date with the booze;)

hugs and love my friend

ps> Im so having left overs tonight, thanx again

GregoryJ said...

Lovely post, Jo.
Glad you and she worked it out.
Thanks for all the info.
A lot I did not know.