Monday, February 1, 2010

PERK UP!



Happy Monday, all. I know for many people, that term is an oxy-moron.

I just try to make the best of each day. Some are, of course, better than others.

I've already had my daily battle with coffee. I lost.










In other news, I applied for a few jobs over the weekend on 'Craigslist'. Not really being a good candidate nor qualified for either, I figure I have nothing to lose by at least applying.

One was at a health club to work in their snack/juice bar.

It's not ideal but it's something I can get behind being a weight loss and health advocate and knowing something about nutrition.

And the other was for a writers assistant -- both local.

The former is probably looking for someone in better shape and younger -- perkier. Likely in both sense of the words.












I'm just sayin'.

However, I make a good appearance and surprisingly speak well in the interview format. And being someone who has lost weight in the last year or so, I thought I'd give it a whirl and that they could perhaps see me as someone who is steady (having my priorities in tact -- i.e. not going to call in sick on a Monday or Friday because I want to extend my 'party weekend!'), reliable and knows of what she speaks.

The latter, well...that's just dreaming on my part. Having nothing to lose by applying and nothing to gain by not, I say what the hell?

In other un-noteworthy news (seriously, I got nothing here) I bought my Mom a movie that was on sale for $6.00 called 'The Jane Austen Book Club'.












It's about a group of women who read one Jane Austen book at a time and get together to discuss it once a month. They then find their lives paralleling Jane Austen's characters.

There's a great line in the movie: "I can definitely handle a walk through the woods with Mr. Darcy right about now."









Me too.

It stars The great Kathy Baker ('13 Going On 30', 'Last Chance Harvey' with Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson, T.V.'s 'Picket Fences', 'Inventing The Abbotts' with Joaquin Phoenix and Liv Tyler), Emily Blunt (from 'The Devil Wears Prada'), Amy Brenneman (from 'Judging Amy' T.V. show), Lynn Redgrave, Maria Bello ('A History Of Violence' with Viggo Mortenson and 'Duets' among many others), Maggie Grace (from 'Taken' with Liam Neeson), Jimmy Smits and Hugh Dancy (from 'Evening' and 'Confessions Of A Shopaholic'-- he is also married to Claire Danes in real life).

Like myself, my Mom is a Jane Austen nut in the book and movie versions, and having seen said movie myself, I thought she would truly enjoy it as I did.

I was mistaken. If there's anyone who can deflate my mood with a few verbose comments, it's my Mom.

::Phone rings::

Me: "Hello?"

Mom: "Hello. I just watched that movie."

Me: "Okay, good. What did you think?"

Mom: "It was different, wasn't it?"

::See 'Different' being code for "I didn't really like it"::

Me: "Different? How so?"

Mom: "Well, it's almost like a 'B' movie -- I hardly recognized any of the actors in it."

Me: "Mom, they've all been in many 'A' movies...."

Mom: "The format was shot like a 'made for T.V.' movie."

Me: "Oh, I didn't think so at all -- I really liked it."

Mom: "Yeah, me too."

Me: "Uh-huh."

Mom: "I didn't care for Lynn Redgrave's role in it, though."

Me: "I enjoyed her kookie her character, it was a departure for her."

Mom: "I guess so."

Me: "Well, I'm glad you finally got to see it."

Mom: "Yeah."

Me: "Okay, well....I have to finish laundry, make dinner, feed the animals, get Ed's lunch ready. I'm just crazy busy right now and really have to go. Talk to you soon."

Mom: "Love you".

Me: "I know you think you do."











This is classic Mom. Never ever satisfied with anything. She can never just take something for what it is and enjoy it -- she has to pick everything apart and find fault. It's the same for any family event, gathering, you name it.

I told Ed this weekend that he is starting to become the same way. I made breakfast on Saturday: two eggs, a breaded chicken patty, two pieces of turkey bacon, buttered toast and orange slices.

Still hungry.

I ended up making him two more eggs, two more slices of toast and cut up more orange slices for him.

Then we watched 'Paranormal Activity'.












I watched it the night before when I was by myself. B was at a party with his friend, 'V', while Ed and our 'oldest son' and his wife went to the Nascar races in Baldwin Park (they got tickets really cheap!) so I had the evening to myself and decided to watch this scary ass movie all alone.

Before I knew it, I was flipping on all the lights in the house, opening the front door (so as not to feel so isolated), clutching a pillow and making T.J. (my black lab mix) come and lay down next to Mama on the sofa!

Scared the ever loving shit out of me!










So, we watched it Sunday afternoon after my telling him he HAS to see this movie.

I kept having to nudge him awake and afterwards he said; "It was just alright" and he gave me a look that said; "I can't believe you made me watch that stupid movie!".

So, I told him that he is just very difficult to please anymore and that I'm tired of it: "From now on you can cook your own breakfast and pick out your own movies."

Maybe he should invite my Mom and that way they can sit and commiserate.

That'll teach 'em.

Will be posting later on today on my '90 Days' blog to update and chart my progress. Kindly, if you're so inclined, go check it out if you haven't done so as of yet (you can get to '90 Days' from my profile page under 'My Blogs'). It's really quite a process that makes one tap into what it is they really want out of life and provokes pro-honesty with ones self and our past. Self actualization is not always a pretty process.

Until then, wishing you all a great day!

EDIT: I just posted on my '90 Days' blog. I hope you'll venture over there and check it out.

5 comments:

Andrea said...

Happy Monday...actually: HAPPY WEEK!
andrea

Ms Bibi said...

I think all the moms are same,lol. Their job is to drive us insane while saying I love you.

I hope you'll get one of those jobs. I keep my fingers crossed for you.

Meeko Fabulous said...

Oh Jo! I love you. We are SO much alike! Anywho, if you came over here and made breakfast I'd be very thankful because I cannot cook breakfast to save my life. *hugs*

Kathy's Klothesline said...

My mom was like that, too. Does your mom "save" all the nice things she ever gets? Mine did, and died before she got a chance to use them!

Hope one of the jobs will be the one!

Leah said...

Hey Happy Monday to you to...and Happy beginning of the month :0)

My grandma was like that, used to drive me and mum up the wall. If you get her a gift that she didnt care for, she'd just tell you to keep it yourself, even if it were at a family gathering :p

Btw have you watched 'the uninvited' I really thought that was good movie.