Tuesday, February 2, 2010

IS IT JUST ME?



Calling out 'Nabisco'.

The other day I wanted to make some homemade hummus (recipe at the end of this post).

It goes great with cut up raw veggies, bagel chips and wheat crackers. My cracker of choice is 'Wheat Thins'.












However, I don't often buy them because they are a luxury. So, I keep our snack food purchasing at a minimum.

I do so enjoy a box of 'Wheat Thins' now and again, though; they not only taste great (I've loved them since I was a little girl) but are also vegan.

However, I've become disenchanted since I paid $4.40 for a one pound box of them at 'Food-4-Less' a few days ago -- pretty much the cheapest place one can purchase groceries.

I have since written 'Food-4-Less' (no response as of yet) and 'Nabisco' -- a subsidiary of Kraft Foods.

In my complaint to 'Nabisco' I noted that I could buy a pound of the leanest ground beef for less than what they charge for a one pound box of 'Wheat Thins' and that unless their crackers have some sort of miracle ingredient in them, I certainly don't understand why consumers should have to pay such an exorbitant amount for crackers. CRACKERS!

Now, some markets have store brand versions of 'Wheat Thins' --and I have tried them but find they are never quite the same.

I should mention that these were the original 'Wheat Thins' not the low fat or fat free versions, nor the basil and tomato or whatever other flavors they offer. Just plain old crackers.

This is the response I got from 'Nabisco' -- such as it was. Gotta love the 'personal touch' on the auto-responses where some machine adds in your name at the top to make you actually THINK someone took the time to write a concerned consumer:

"Thank You for Contacting Us!

Hi Jo Anna,

I appreciate your taking the time to share your concerns with us about price increases.

As manufacturers, we're prohibited by law from setting retail prices and high prices are matter of concern for all of us. It's in our own best interest to keep costs and wholesale prices as low as possible. Most retailers also try to resist price increases to maximize their sales. Some external factors are out of our control, such as costs of raw materials, energy, packaging materials and transportation, which may affect prices.

I'll forward your comments to the appropriate staff and we'll continue to offer a variety of high-quality foods at the lowest possible cost to consumers.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Kim McMiller
Associate Director, Consumer Relations"



If they consider $4.40 for a box of crackers the 'lowest possible cost', then I would like their lifestyle for five minutes.

I think we all would.

Hummus Recipe:










*2 cans of Garbonzo beans (chick peas)

*Fresh lemon to taste

*Fresh garlic to taste

**Drain and rinse the chick peas and put them in the food processor or blender. Add fresh chopped garlic and freshly squeezed lemon juice. Blend away until creamy. I find that I typically add a little bit of water at a time until the consistency is right so it's not 'gloppy' -- you want a creamy texture, not too lumpy.

You can also add fresh chopped bell peppers, pimentos, jalapenos and any other veggies (and spices) you deem yummy.

It's a great snack and full of protein.

Enjoy them with something other than 'Wheat Thins' -- like I'm going to do next time.

Peace.

5 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I know! It is outrageous. Try some flour tortillas. Cut them in wedges with a pizza cutter and you can either fry them (they fry up really fast) or lay them out on a cookie sheet and brush them with olive oil and broil until crispy.

Naqvee said...

you gave an idea, i will also write about some of the things that i find very high in price as compared to other basic foods.. But inflation is hitting India these days v. much, i don't know at times what to buy in a grocery store?

Love Naqvee

Andrea said...

Why is it eating healthy is soooo expensive. We try to eat mostly organic, etc. It can be quite the challenge.
Blessings, andrea

Meeko Fabulous said...

That's the same reason I don't buy those expensive ass crackers.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

The local 4 page weekly newspaper came today and with it an ad for the local grocery ....... Wheat thins on sale!! 2 10oz boxes for $4! Of course, the drive here would negate the savings, right?