Saturday, February 6, 2010

IF NOT NOW -- WHEN?



In my second post of the day (rare for me), I have decided to gripe about criteria.

How many times, I've wondered to myself (and, perhaps, you too, have thought the very same things), have I seen an article on-line or in a magazine and thought: "I could do that -- perhaps even better".

How many times have I caught typos in said articles?

And, how many times have I been encouraged by friends and loved ones to do something about it?

Well, a few years ago I did -- to no avail.

So, I thought I'd give it another whirl, because if not now -- then when?

Upon doing some research this morning (all part of my '90 Days' plan -- see my '90 Days' blog for further detail -- in which we were asked; 'How much time are you willing to devote to changing your life direction?'), I'm finding it all looks good on paper; the reality of it is that the criteria for which magazines require in order to be considered for a submission, is beyond my reach.

This is the very thing I find extremely discouraging and disheartening.

See below, which I took the liberty of copying and pasting. I intentionally left out the name of said magazine.

Writer's Guidelines

"Thank you so very much for your interest in writing for _ _ _ _ _'_ _ _ _. Unfortunately, you are not alone. In fact, you have so much company, and we have such a small cadre of editors, that we have had to develop what you will no doubt find a rather tough policy on unsolicited manuscripts.

This is what you need to know: Our editors work almost exclusively with experienced writers who have clips from major national magazines. As a result, we accept unsolicited manuscripts only from writers with such credentials. There are no exceptions."



I should add that I'm truly not delusional -- this wasn't exactly 'Time' nor 'News Week'.

You know, again, I've read so many ill equipped, colloquial articles by these so-called "experienced writers" (and yes, some great ones, too) that I can't help but think they are not only cheating a great many of us out there who have the capabilities, but also themselves by not opening up to the bevy of possibilities out there.

Different -- and new -- people can bring about fresh perspectives.

There are walks of life out there without formal/higher education who just in their life experiences alone can open up a whole new world for readers, if only given a chance.

Opportunities and possibilities are at our feet in abundance, however, it's the chances that seem to be elusive.

12 comments:

Andrea said...

Just write and don't worry about it...let GOD do the rest. I know that is NOT what anyone else will say. You will get lots of rules, etc. Rules just make me cranky..lol! I just write from my heart and whatever happens will happen. I am trusting GOD with it.
Hugs, andrea

GregoryJ said...

Yeah, they are jerks. Their losss.
Stick with it. You will get there.

URL is like the address of a thing on the web. usually starts with http

HTML is like a code or a language used to tell the computer or web what to do.

I know just a little bit of it. I put a link to a tutorial on a comment yesterday. I guess you were too busy LAUGHING at me to notice.

Something that you do want to know how to do is a clickable link, a photo or word that a person can click on and be taken to the correct URL or address.

Some things have an icon of 2 chain links or of a globe. You hightlight what you want to link, either a photo or words and then you click on the icon (chain or globe) this will open a box where you will paste the url that you have copied from the site where you want to link to. Click okay and viola you're done.

Another way is to use HTML.
Start this way

now you type in what you want to show. either the name of the link or Click Here or what ever. This will show up in the text in a different color and when the cursor is on it will be the finger.
Now end with

the only space in this whole thing is between the a and href

I know you can do this. You will make me very happy when you show me that you can.

GregoryJ said...

jfc. How can I write this so it doesn't do it.

Okay, disregard all asterisks.

start with ***** and type in what you want to show. the name of the link or Click Here e.g.
to end it do this
stand up , raise your hands, shake your booty. this is called the happy dance.
no really do this **
***

GregoryJ said...

Okay, one more time, with words.

start with the thing that points left, then the letter a then a space then href then an equal sign and quotation marks. Now type in the URL or copy and paste it and close it with quotation marks. Then the thing that points right > Now type in what you want to show. The name of the link or Click Here and you end it with a left point < the slash / the letter a and the right point>
the only space is between a and href. every thing else follow consecutively.
OH, in what you type to show, you can put spaces there.

Jo, if you don't get this, after all my feeble efforts, I just may cry. You don't want to see that.

Steven Anthony said...

Your determination is one of the first things that attracted me to your blog my friend...so you have had one set back, I know you...you will lick your wounds, then get up and come out swinging;)

I cant wait to read your first published piece;)

love ya

Naqvee said...

I believe you Jo, I have many people in my life which are so inspiring just because they are different.. they are common but unusually gifted.... you are different.. keep the flame alive..
remain passionate and zealous.. luck is not everything.. it's hard work at the end of the day that pays off.. luck is only when you escape the bad phase..

{{{{{{{{{{{ HUGS }}}}}}}}}}}}

♥ Naqvee

Shelle said...

Good for you for at least trying and sending your writing out there! I think you have a lovely writing style and it is their own loss that they can't take the time to read the manuscripts that they receive!

Hope you are having a nice weekend! Happy SITS Saturday!

Allen said...

Jo, Sorry I have been gone, work has me there more than I am at home. We need to have our coffee and chat!

huggggggggggggggggggggs
Allen

Ms Bibi said...

Just keep writing and keep moving forward. If you are passionate about something the passion will shine through and you will make it.Have faith my friend. There is lots of writers, but not all of them have the passion.

Melissa B. said...

I keep writing, and folks keep reading. Maybe someday I'll be "discovered." And if not, I still have my words...

Kat @ www.TodaysCliche.com said...

Just loved this post... coming from SITS. Random, but are you going to Bloggy Boot Camp in Baltimore?

miltaryman64 said...

YES TALKING TO A LONG TIME FRIENDS FROM DISTANT LANDS CAN BE REFRESHING. IM STILL A STEPFORD KINDA GUY EVEN FROM ALL THE WAY DOWN HERE...... I STILL HAVE HOPE FOR YOU.WE'LL CLIMB THE MOUNTAIN TOGETHER, EVEN IF YOU ARE A DEMOCRAT :)