Wednesday, February 10, 2010

'CRAIGSLIST' -- FRIEND OR FOE?



Anyone have any experience with 'Craigslist' job ads?

My interaction with them is recent: I have been answering job ads for the past several weeks.

'Craigslist' has different areas of interests in regards to job classifieds, such as: Hospitality, Retail, Customer Service, Non-Profit, etc.

You just click on the link for your state and area, click on 'Jobs' and go from there.

Sounds easy enough, yes?

They way they do it is that the employers who advertise have a 'Craigslist' affiliated E-mail address that you then write to expressing your interest in said job. Naturally, I include my resume.

Only one has responded and it was for a health spa related juice/snack bar position.

Not Rocket Science, I know, but as a health and weight loss recipient and advocate, it was something I can get behind.

I received a pre-fabricated, automated letter saying to fill out their job application, via a link (a word I've come to loathe!), and that a background check would be required.

Not a problem. Most business do background checks, drug testing, etc. I have nothing to hide unless my alter ego, Mrs. Hyde, has been running amok causing shenanigans again, in which case, I might as well just forget the whole damned thing.

The thing that turned me suspicious was, upon further reading of said response, that no where was there mentioned a company name. Not only that, they wanted to do a credit check which would include, I naturally assumed, my detailing personal information: Drivers license, S.S. etc.

How is this any of their business?

I have several thoughts on this:

A) It's a scam (as 'Craigslist' warns there are many out there so they forewarn you upon clicking on an ad) to receive personal information

B) To work at a juice bar one must apparently have good credit and zero history of financial turmoil???? I would think if ones credit score were indeed impeccable, a juice bar would likely be the last place one who is not in financial straits would apply.

So, I passed on that.

Okay, so more strikes against me: not only am I apparently not qualified to do anything, I am also unfit and unworthy to work in a juice bar with my scandalous financial history.

No one else, in two weeks, has bothered to contact me at all.

I think I must now say good-bye to my budding friendship with 'Craigslist': it's proving to be a burdening tale of woe and one without benefits.

While parting is such sweet sorrow, I think today I will say good-bye and not postpone until tomorrow.

8 comments:

miltaryman64 said...

MY DEAR DEAR FRIEND, CRAIGSLIST IS A GOOD THING. JUST LIKE THE PEENYSAVER. LIKE ANYTHING BUYER OR JOB HUNTER BEWARE.... HEEEEEELLLLLOOOO ALL THE WAY FROM KOSOVOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........ PAT

P.S I STILL HAVE HOPE FOR YOU IN STEPFORD AND THE YOU JOINING THE DARK SIDE........

Steven Anthony said...

Ive worked for myself for so long now, but I think it is common practice for most places to run credit checks???

Whatever you do, I know you will do great, and anyone will be damn lucky to get ya...I think go for jobs that you can interview in person for, that way they get the bennefit of seeing your personality, I think that will be the wining ticket my friend.

chin up and much love;)

Jeanne said...

Hang in there! It's a tough job market, even for people with (what used to be) highly in demand skills. Pace yourself, you'll get there.

(And don't give anybody financial info about yourself unless and until you're ready.)

GregoryJ said...

Sounded like a scam.
Any address you could go to in order to see if it exists?

Shame about all the crooks out there.

Andrea said...

Keep in mind, I have not sought a job on Craig's list, but I have heard recently of LOTS of scams. Please be careful.
Hugs,
andrea

Jo said...

Patrick, Patrick, Patrick. For shame! Me join the 'dark side'. Never, my friend.

See my new post above. :D

grandmamargie said...

It sounds like a scam to me. Never list any of your information on any site or "link", especially your ss# and financial institution information until you've done a thorough check on the company. (Had to delurk on this one.) :)

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I am with you on this. I would think if it were a legitimate job they would list the location and do an interview in person.