Monday, January 11, 2010

SAD HOUSEWIFE NO LONGER




Hi, all. Jo here from 'Diary Of A Sad Housewife: Confessions OF A Bankrupt Life'.

Welcome to my new blog--this is where you can find me from now on. I'm not going to delete my old one--it will serve as a reminder that when things will no doubt get tough around here, it can always be worse.

Today was our bankruptcy hearing: after a year of frightening financial woes, we are now debt free with a clean slate.

To try and briefly re-cap:

This was not credit card debt, this was due to losing our home after 16 years and being sued for the second on the house by the financial company.

My husband, Ed, was having $1000.00 a month garnished from his paychecks. We sought the legal help of an attorney realizing that we cannot live like this and made the decision to file bankruptcy. With the garnishment in place, we were barely eating and paying bills took second place to food and gas.

No doubt this is a familiar tale to many people out there who have gone through this same thing.

We picked the wrong representation early on as our former attorney jerked us around for most of 2009, making and breaking promises, getting our hopes up and then letting us down time and again as well as refusing our phone calls and E-mail's.

He left us scared and flailing with us not knowing where to turn to next.

So, to reintroduce you (or to acquaint you if you're perhaps new here), start with the blogs I listed below.

*If you're unable to locate my older blogs through the below links (I can't figure out STILL how to post links on here), then please go to blog archives under my previous blog, 'Diary Of A Sad Housewife'.

My very first blog from back in June of '09 is titled; 'Is It Time For Okay yet?':

http://diaryofasadhousewife-jo.blogspot.com/2009/06/is-it-time-for-okay-yet.html

And 'What Now?' from back in August '09:

http://diaryofasadhousewife-jo.blogspot.com/2009/08/what-now-so-if-youve-been-keeping-up.html

Long story short, in September of 2009, after yet another let down by our attorney, I broke down--and then I got pissed!

So, I sought new legal representation and for the first time in a year, progress was being made.

Today was the final episode in a year and half long struggle: from the time we lost our house, moved, got sued, was left on our own by a BAD attorney and then found someone who cared enough to do his job--we are now debt free and get to rebuild our life.

I don't know how many people in this life get 'do-overs' or if they recognize them when they do. However, make no mistake; this is one of those moments--and I get it.

I'm not particularly religious, but I do know that there was a reason Ed (hubby), 'B' (son) and I went through this.

From here on out, it's up to me what lessons I take away from this and how I apply them.

This much I know; say good-bye to the 'Sad Housewife' because there's a new woman in town--and she sure as hell isn't sad.

Peace and serenity,
~Jo

45 comments:

GregoryJ said...

Congratulations. Good Luck.

Jaynie Martin said...

Am so pleased for you Things have got better :) im still waiting (thought this year would be the begining for me too) I truely hope the rainbow leads you to that pot of gold health prosperity and joy xxxx

Naqvee said...

Jo, I'm ecstatic after reading this post with "new hopes and new fragrances"this is the best start of a new year. I have read all your posts, and that made me very sad deep inside. I could imagine your sufferings at that time when you said you were not able to pay the bills and that "internet" is a necessity and you can't ignore it.

prayers are always with you! hope you get every thing back and better which you lost in this battle!
Love Naqvee

Audra said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jo said...

My heart swells and at this moment as it may have very well all just hit me.

Thank you so very much for all your prayers and warm wishes for myself and my family.

Will be by to see you all soon.

Much love and gratitude, peace and serenity,
~Jo

Confessions From A Working Mom said...

Congrats congrats congrats a million times over! How amazing is this? I've been following-- in "secret", I guess-- for quite some time, never sure what to say. But now, that smile on your face says it all :)

~Elizabeth
Confessions From A Working Mom

Kyle said...

Jo, love the new space! It's grand! I'm so happy your life is going in a much better direction now. Ready for the next ride!

Shell said...

Wow, you've been through a lot!

Love your laughing pic!

Stopping in from SITS.

Jodi Widhalm said...

Well all deserve 2nd chances! So glad it's all worked out for you!

Danie B. said...

Hello from Sist3rs and SITS. One of the Sist3rs has experienced bankruptcy as well and it's a tough thing to bounce from. I'm pleased to read about your happy ending.

Karen & Gerard Zemek said...

I feel so bad for you that you lost your house! That would be just horrible and then to have to deal with that nightmare for years yet is just awful. Life can be such a hassle sometimes but hopefully things will turn around for you now and you can get back on your feet.

Congrats on your SITS day!

Joy said...

You've got a great attitude to inspire others to help others just knowing that they're not alone! Brava!

Cyndi @ 6 Ring Circus said...

Stopping by from SITS. What a great attitude you have! I'm really enjoying your blog.

Donnetta said...

Yes, we ALL deserve 2nd chances!!! I wish you the best of luck, and may you continue to be debt FREE!!!

Happy SITS day!

Annie @ astonesthrowfrominsanity said...

I love that you are focusing on the blessing of having a second chance, rather than dwelling on the negativity of the situation. You go girl!

Mommie Daze said...

Glad your on your way finally. Sometimes a clean slate is just what you need.

Melissa @ Cellulite Investigation said...

Best wishes on your fresh start (and great hair, by the way!)

Scraps said...

Second chances are an amazing gift and it sounds like one you richly deserved (pun unintended).

Sandy said...

I know the relief felt when the debt is finally cleared, as I too have been there! Congrats!

Laura said...

It's sad your attorney screwed you around. Mine took less than two months...from seeing the attorney for the first time until the final proceedings. Mine was tons of medical bills (3 threatening garnishments), no credit cards. Since I'm a single mom with 2 kids, I consolidated & paying my house & car through the attorney, so I didn't loose that stability. But I'm not afraid to answer the phone anymore.

Stopping by from SITS!

Marie said...

Glad the nasty part is done with...Life is all about lessons and how we handle them. :)

Anita said...

I can't imagine what 2009 was like for you, but moving on and looking ahead are positive steps.
I'm glad SITS led me to your blog.
BTW, I am dealing with anxiety and depression too.......so very not fun!

Young Wife said...

So glad you're being able to move forward! Happy SITS Day!

Kim said...

So sad. I'm glad you got a better attorney and are on your way to peace of mind.

Eva Gallant said...

whoops! forgot to tell you I was stopping by from SITS; hope you'll return the visit!

Eva Gallant said...

We went through bankruptcy in 1992 when Hubby and I both got laid off. We lost a 5 bedroom house, 2 cars, a business I had started, just about everything but each other. Today, however, we are now both retired. We live in a mobile home, have one good car, and hopefully enough savings to see up through retirement. It was a long, tough struggle, but we made it back. You will, too. Just keep your chin up!

gina said...

Good for you for perservering!

Zeemaid said...

Wow, great determination on your part. I used to think losing my home was the worst that could happen but no... there are worse things.

I hope 2010 is going better for you all.

Happy SITS day!

Jo said...

Sorry you had such a terrible experience with the first attorney. I'd like to speak up for my 'kind' and say that you had the exception to our breed in that snarkey eejit... but unlikely. Sadly there are more sharks in my field than helpers. Glad that you were able to get on top of everything!

Sarah said...

Again, quite a story. A clean slate sounds good for you.

Sarah Baron, Anonymous8.com

Miz Dinah said...

Congratulations on taking charge of your life. Sorry about your financial woes. All the best!

Christi said...

Happy SITS day. Very brave of you to share your journey through bankruptcy. So many are having the same issues with the economy being what it is now and now can find comfort in your positive attitude in the face of adversity.

Take care!

simplysandi said...

Happy SITS day. Thank you for sharing your story. It's hard to go through stuff like this.

Lourie said...

First of all HAPPY SITS DAY!!! second, what an amazing story. You have such a positive attitude.

Christa Terry said...

Glad things worked out for you thus far -- having the right representation is so important!

CoconutPalmDesigns said...

I'm glad things got better for you and you are no longer the sad housewife!

Happy SITS Day!

Cheers :-)
- CoconutPalmDesigns

Mom of the Twinkies and Tot! said...

Wow...an amazing journey you've been through! Glad you've come out on the other side :)

Happy SITS Day!

samsstuff said...

So many are now in this same position, it's good to see someone come through this & have such a good attitude. Things will get better.

Hi from SITS!

Young Yoga Masters said...

You're not alone - I read that Walt Disney filed for bankruptcy before his empire was built. There's always a way to rebuild.

Joann Mannix said...

Congratulations on your SITS day, but more than that, congratulation on being sad no more!

I am sorry, so sorry for your troubles. This economic crash has maimed so many good people. It truly is the second Great Depression. I wish for you peace, financial good karma, and everlasting happiness.

Shelle said...

your blog looks interesting...i'll have to take a look around. we are battling to keep our home right now...and have no idea where the future is taking us.

the momma said...

Bankruptcy doesn't mean you're a lowlife or degenerate--as you can well attest. You seem like someone who was truly in a bad place and needed a fresh start. And now you have it--congrats to you!!! :-) I'm here from SITS, glad to have found you!

carma said...

love your attitude - and debt-free is a good feeling!! I hope that you've got some good things coming your way in the future now that you are back on your feet.

cjschlottman said...

Jo,
Your are a wonderful role model for anyone suffering in these awful economic times. I applaud your spirit and tenacity, and I can certainly relate to having a breakdown. I had one while my husband was dying and thankfully got stable and functional before he left this world - without me.
Keep it up, Girl. I now have a new hero in my life!
PS: I do pray. I have a son (40) with schizoaffective disorder. Let's trade prayers.

Joann Mannix said...

I believe I already visited you on your SITS day, but let me say hello again!

I hope since I've last visited you, you are continuing down your path of discovering joy.

I will definitely keep you and your daughter in my prayers in the hope that you will one day again be united.