Tuesday, January 19, 2010

THE HOME THAT JO BUILT



Happy Tuesday, all.

Not having much to post about, I thought I would tell you of some of the ways my new year is off to a better start and some of the little things I am doing to ensure that it stays that way.

While I wouldn't say I'm into fung shui, I do believe a house isn't just a house. My house isn't just where we live; it's where I cook my meals, love my family and welcome people. It's where my husband, Ed, got very sick from the 'Swine Flu' and where I nursed him back to good health.

It's the house Ed leaves every morning to begin his long commute to work and where he, thankfully, returns to us every night after being gone 12 to 13 hours.

This is the house where we saw our son graduate from high school and begin college.

This is the house we've lived in for a year and a half now after losing ours of 16 years in 2008, the one where I raised my children.

This house isn't ours per se as we rent. It's only two bedrooms with two bathrooms and a living room (no den or family room) but it's all we need -- and for the first time in my life, we have a fireplace and I'm loving it.

Indeed, this isn't just a house, it's my home.

While we live in a typical neighborhood, we're not all right on top of one another as my backyard is mostly foothills, as is both sides of our house, so we have a little privacy and space between neighbors.

Remember the 90's where everyone was into mauve and country blue?









Okay, I have NONE of that.

Now the popular thing seems to be sage green, thanks to Martha Stewart.













I have none of that, either.

If I had to describe our decor and home in one word -- and what really makes our home uniquely US -- it would be 'Bohemian' (complete with wooden door beads).











I have this hanging over our sofa:













and this one as a curtain for our back slider:













Over my love seat, I have these two pictures:

'Lady Avalon' (from the Arthurian tales):













And 'Dragonfly Queen':













I have two wicker baskets (shaped like vases) on each side of my fireplace (that I got from 'Big Lots') with peacock feathers sprouting out of them (from 'The Dollar tree'):










I also have an olive green and gold sarong hanging over my fireplace, which I couldn't find a picture of on-line (really need to put to use our digital camera).

And I have this one draped over the back of my love seat:













I have East Indian looking pillows with beads and embroidery, mostly in reds and purples, adorning my sofa and love seat:













I have stones in a basket, candles, tiny brass bells and tart burners on my coffee table -- and sequined butterflies hanging here and there on my walls:













This pleases me greatly. I like that our home doesn't look like everyone else's. And while people may certainly have bigger and nicer homes, this one is reflective of US.

I mean no offense to any of you who prefer the more contemporary look of 'Ikea' or the more popular conservative look I spoke of earlier in this post.

Everyone is entitled to a home that makes them feel like it is truly theirs.

So, I've been getting a few little things here and there (nothing extravagant) to complete the look. No easy task with my purposeful mismatched color schemes and limited funds.

B (my son if you're new here) and his friend, 'V', have been running around looking for said things at my request for our home (he actually likes doing this stuff), such as a tablecloth and place mats. They managed to find a tablecloth at 'Big Lots' for $5.00!

So, every payday, I am going to buy one reasonable thing: a new throw pillow, a small throw rug, a candle or perhaps a new tart burner.

We deprived ourselves of the little things for so long that even something like a candle or a picture frame ('The Dollar tree' is great for this stuff!) makes a difference in turning ones house into a home and rejuvenating your spirit.












Please know that I am indeed mindful of how much I can and should spend. Frugality is still key in my life and going overboard is not in my realm of thinking nor capabilities.

I am also still acutely aware of the needs of others, including the Haiti Earthquake in which we made a donation, right here on blogspot in fact. It's called 'Network For Good' where you can choose your charity.











I am also still fundraising for the 'MS Walk 10'.













This is indeed a new year with not taking anything for granted; I've turned in a $20.00 rebate offer, am taking cans and bottles in this week for recycling and bought a used book on Amazon.com titled; 'Now What? 90 Days To A New Life Direction' for $4.00 including shipping and handling!














I am also spreading our groceries and coming up with some awesome and healthy casserole dishes!

Ed and I signed up for the health program at his work where if we accumulate X amount of points by the end of the year, we will actually get cash money.

We've also been walking every day and I just began re-reading Jane Austen's 'Mansfield Park'.













There's no rejuvenation too big or too small. Sometimes it's just the little things -- and it's wonderful beyond words to be enjoying life again.








With a lot of help from Ed and B (and our 'other kids'), this is the life that Jo built and you're welcome in it.

9 comments:

Steven Anthony said...

you and I are twins...I just redecorated my main sitting room in a morracan feel, so much of what you have I have in that room...jinx;)

much love

Meeko Fabulous said...

I love those East Indian pillows with the beadwork on them! Where did you get them???

Jo said...

Meeko, I actually don't have those exact ones, I just got those pictures on-line to illustrate my style but I would think someplace like 'Pier 1'. I'm sure you can find them on-line.

I got most of my Morrocan themed pillows at Target and Walmart.

Steven, I knew you and I were more alike than I ever realized. I love color and am only now beginning to see all the color in life and am trying to apply that to my home. :)

Andrea said...

I love your look. I like things that are unique and different...not like everyone else!
Blessings, andrea

Kathy's Klothesline said...

We downsized from our 3 level 3000 sq ft homw in MN when we bought this park and moved into the 980 sq ft living quarters here. Only one bathroom and I am quite content. It is enough space for the two of us and our dogs. When the kids come we all cram in our small space together and have a great time..... nobody ever over stays their welcome this way! I call my style "eccentric dog lover". It is all mine!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

We downsized from our 3 level 3000 sq ft homw in MN when we bought this park and moved into the 980 sq ft living quarters here. Only one bathroom and I am quite content. It is enough space for the two of us and our dogs. When the kids come we all cram in our small space together and have a great time..... nobody ever over stays their welcome this way! I call my style "eccentric dog lover". It is all mine!

Ekanthapadhikan said...

And that's how you make a house a "home sweet home", I guess. Wish I could visit you and your family once!

"And so our stories go..." said...

Love what you have hanging over your couch, and the Martha S. picture.
Mary

Mrsbear said...

Following over from SITS to say hello. Your home sounds lovely, I prefer Bohemian to Martha Steward any day. ;)