Sunday, January 17, 2010

DEAR SIR PAUL, HERE'S A QUARTER....



Sir Paul McCartney fans may want to turn away now.

Go ahead, I'll wait.

At the risk of drawing ire from 'Beatles' and 'Wings' fans alike (and, for the record -- I count myself as one of them. Anything from 'The White Album' is brilliant!), I intend to express my strong opinion about tonight's 'Golden Globes' award show in relation to Sir Paul and 'Golden Globes' host, Ricky Gervais -- and Cher.

Yep. Cher.

Ricky Gervais, if you're not familiar with him, is a British comedian primarily known for being the creator of the popular television series, 'The Office' -- the British and American versions.

He is also known for his stand up comedy -- much of which he donates to charity.

His stand up from last year, 'Ricky Gervais: Out Of England', was fantastic (see clip at the end of this post) and he is doing a sequel this year.








He also starred in the movies 'Ghost Town' (underrated and very funny movie) and 'The Invention Of Lying'.

He is a 'no holds barred' comedian and proved his wit and bravery during tonight's ceremony, taking a light hearted jab at Paul McCartney's finances and divorce -- who was front and center.

Sir Paul wasn't amused -- as was not Cher -- who was a presenter and called out Ricky Gervais as 'Shameless'.

Okay, let's put things in perspective, shall we?

Paul McCartney's divorce was quite ugly and public. Granted, that was mostly due to his then soon-to-be ex wife, her lawyers, her big mouth and her desperate need for attention.

British tabloids are even worse than American ones from what I understand, although news of the divorce settlement between himself and Heather Mills went global, much to his chagrin, I'm sure.

This was going on long before Ricky Gervais took to the stage tonight and far worse things had been said by others.

I guess I'm feeling that if I had fifty years of public adulation, millions (if not BILLIONS) of dollars, a successful career in one of the most beloved bands of all time, a successful solo career AND been knighted by the queen of England, I could take a joke.

In the grand scheme of things in this world (especially in light of Haiti), far worse things have happened to better people than him.

Believe me when I say that this is coming from a woman who counts herself as a fan -- not only musically but also personally of Sir Paul's due to his years long animal rights activism.

I also find it hypocritical of Cher to stand on stage with her millions of dollars worth of plastic surgery and still have the gall to call Ricky Gervais 'shameless'.










The real shame is the serious tone the mood took because a few people couldn't get over themselves long enough to buy a sense of humor.

Carry on, Mr. Gervais. May you stay 'Out Of England' long enough to discover the many of us who do have a sense of humor -- and I have a pocket full of quarters in case I ever lose it.



10 comments:

Bombshell BLISS said...

I love Ricky Gervais! And I love leaving comments too. I think I'll begin stalking you now.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for following. I love blog friends!

Jeanette

Bombshell BLISS said...

P.S. I've grabbed yours! Ahem, button that is.

Steven Anthony said...

I love Ricky...I find him to be ssssooooooo funny.

and I even Like heather Mills (sorry)

luv ya lady and your bold opinions;)

Julie said...

Hi Jo! Can't wait to read more when I'm not at work! I'm officially stalking you and I'll be back!

Andrea said...

Thanks for all your sweet comments on arise 2 write.
andrea

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Totally agree!

Ekanthapadhikan said...

Divorces and break-ups are always a nasty affair, I guess. But to talk about someone else' divorce publicly... Now, I don't know how good or bad that sounds?

The pale observer said...

Ricky Gervais is EXCELLENT! Just watched the Invention of Lying.. I have seen all his stand up material and of course the Office and Extras.

I missed the Golden Globes, but I think it's pathetic that such seasoned celebrities like Cher and Paul can't take a joke!! That's what comes with the limelight and all the millions!!!

Great blog you've got here, btw.

Cheers
Holli in Ghana

Lorie said...

I must have missed that part of the Globes! And I can see both sides...but hopefully he can find some solice in his millions! ;D

Stopping by from SITS

Meeko Fabulous said...

I didn't watch the awards this year, but it sounds like I missed a good show! LoL! :)